Earth Collections: staff
Collections staff have varied research interests and maintain an active acquisition policy. Further details of their work are summarised below, and a list of selected publications is available to download.
Head of Earth Collections: Miss M.T. Price
Curator: Dr D. Waters
Ms J. Hay
Miss E. A. Howlett
Senior Research Fellow: Professor D. J. Siveter
Monica Price Head of Earth Collections
- Curatorial duties: cataloguing and conserving the collections; preparing museum displays; identifying mineral specimens, teaching curation methods to graduates entering museum careers and to amateur collectors.
- Research interests: topographic mineralogy; infrared spectroscopy as a mineral identification technique; research into the history of the Oxford mineral collections; techniques in geological curation.
- Current projects include: researching the history of the Corsi Collection of decorative stones; building up a library of infrared spectra for use in identification and research; preparing guidelines for the sources and uses of terminologies for museum geological collections.
David Waters Curator, University research lecturer
Juliet Hay Collections staff
- Collections support responsibilities
- Curatorial interests: conservation and replication (moulding, casting) of palaeontological material. Maintenance of conservation records. Construction of geological displays, including mounting techniques, together with their monitoring and maintenance. Supporting collections fieldwork activities. Current projects include local geology displays; creating a representational set of moulds for teaching purposes, and moulding and casting for research work.
Eliza Howlett Collections staff
- Responsible for general collections management.
- Curatorial interests: geological databases; type, figured and cited specimens; image library; specimen identification enquiries; archives of contemporary scientists; early collectors (Robert Plot, Edward Lhwyd, William Buckland). Current projects include local geology displays; the cataloguing of the Michael House archive.
Derek Siveter Senior Research Fellow
- Research interests: the exceptionally preserved faunas of the Herefordshire (Silurian; UK) and the Chengjiang (Cambrian; Yunnan Province, China) Konservat-Lagerstätten. Fossil arthropods; specific projects include Devonian trilobites from Mongolia, Ordovician aglaspidids from China, trilobites of the re-defined Llandeilian Stage from the Anglo-Welsh Basin.
- Curatorial interests: in particular, Palaeozoic invertebrate collections; macrophotographic and preparation techniques; conservation of geological sites of scientific importance.
Selected publications from the geology collections (PDF, 69kB)
To read this file you will need to download Adobe Reader
Enquiries regarding the collections should be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org