Life Collections: staff
Collections staff have varied research interests in the area of insect taxonomy, physiology and behaviour, and maintain an active acquisition policy. Further details of their work are summarised below, and a list of selected publications is available to download.
Head of Life Collections: Mr D. J. Mann
Dr S. De Grave
Dr J. Hogan
Mrs M Nowak-Kemp
Ms Z. M. Simmons
Ms A. D. Spooner
Darren Mann Head of Life Collections
- Responsible for day to day running of the life collections.
- Curatorial interests: collections management and the curation-conservation of historical entomological collections.
- Research interests: general entomology; dung beetle (Scarabaeidae: Scarabaeinae) taxonomy and ecology; British dung beetle distribution patterns; taxonomy and biology of the cockroaches (Blattaria).
- Current projects include: historic collections and their types in the OUMNH; ecology and distribution of Bolivian Scarabaeinae; British oil beetle (Coleoptera: Meloidae) distribution and conservation; national organiser for the U.K. Scarabaeoidea Recording Scheme; Bornean dung beetles ecology.
- Teaching: entomology; field studies.
Sammy De Grave Collections staff
- Research interests: taxonomy and ecology of caridean shrimps; the genus Philocheras in Australia and New Zealand; annotated catalogue of Alpheidae of the world Phylogeny and biogeography of the genus Palaemonetes; Pontoniinae from Sulawesi.
James Hogan Collections staff
- Responsible for Coleoptera, Hymenoptera and Lepidoptera collections.
- Curatorial interests: curation and preservation of historic insect collections, preservation of DNA in insect specimens.
- Current projects include: re-curation and re-housing of the Coleoptera collections. Systematics and biogeography of pedunculate ground beetles (Coleoptera: Carabidae: Scaritinae).
ZoŽ Simmons Collections staff
- Responsible for Arachnid and Myriapoda and Diptera.
- Curatorial interests: re-curation and cataloguing of the family Erotylidae collections. Upkeep and curatorial maintenance of collections listed above and participation in the large-scale re-housing project currently underway.
- Current projects include: re-housing, re-curation of the world Diptera collections; re-curation of the Arachnid collection; re-curation and taxonomy of the fungus beetle (Erotylidae) collection.
Amoret Spooner Collections staff
- Responsible for Hemiptera and small orders collections.
- Curatorial interests: Histeridae
- Current projects include: re-curation and conservation of historic entomological collections.
Selected publications from the entomology collections (PDF, 109kB)
To read this file you will need to download Adobe Reader
Enquiries regarding the collections should be sent to: email@example.com